Since I hosted Family Fun Day this weekend, I was in charge of brunch. We had homemade donuts, an Italian Torte (yummy!!), fruit salad, and these twists. These have a subtle sweetness to them that keeps you coming back for more. By the end of the day, there wasn’t a one left.
After I made the dough and let it rise in the fridge, I rolled it out 3 separate times per directions.
I used a ruler to make sure my twists were an inch wide. Then I twisted and placed them on a chilled baking sheet.
After baking, I immediately transferred them to racks.
Oooo, this is my favorite part. The icing!! I started out by drizzling them with the icing. Then, I realized, since I couldn’t stand to waste the amazing, sugary concoction, that I would “dunk” them instead (there are a lot of commas in this sentence)! 🙂
Like I said, these are super yummy!! Try them, and ENJOY!
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
3 1/2 c flour
1 t. salt
2/3 c shortening
1/3 c cold butter
2 egg yolks
3/4 c sour cream
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c sugar, divided
4 c confectioner’s sugar
1/3 c half-n-half cream
1. dissolve yeast in warm water. in another bowl, combine flour and salt. cut in shortenin and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (this takes a little elbow grease, use a fork). beat in the egg, yolks, sour cream, vanilla, and yeast mixture. cover and refrig. for 2 hours. place 3 cookie sheets in the fridge to cool (ungreased).
2. sprinkle 1/2c sugar on a clean surface. place 1/2 of the dough on the sugar (leave the other 1/2 in the fridge until ready) and roll it into a 12×8 in rectangle. once you have done this, sprinkle it with 4 t sugar; then fold into thirds.
3. give dough a quarter turn and roll it out again, just as you did before; sugaring, folding, and turning. do this two more times. now, roll it out and cut it into 12- 1 in. strips. twist and place on a cookie sheet. repeat this with the remaining dough.
4. bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned. immediately place on wire racks to cool.
5. icing, combine conf. sugar and cream. dunk top of twists into the mixture. i poured the icing into a shallow dish so i could dip it evenly.
These would even be great to package and give away as Mother’s Day gifts!!!