Moist Pumpkin Sourdough Bread
Breakfast sweet breads are a staple morning menu item around here and this simple pumpkin sourdough bread is no exception. It has all of the pumpkin spice you expect in a pumpkin bread, but with the benefits of sourdough.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup fed sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 5" loaf pan
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients until mixed well.
Add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until they are combined, but don't overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Place on the center rack of your oven and bake for 1 hour or until the bread is done.
- Add 1/2 cup more sugar to this recipe to create a sweeter bread or add 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Preheat your oven all of the way to ensure proper baking of the bread. If the top begins to brown too much, but the center still needs time to bake, place a layer of aluminum foil over the top of the bread to keep the top from burning.
- Make sure you bake the bread until it is finished. Stick a clean toothpick in the center of the bread after the timer goes off to make sure the center is baked.