This crockpot recipe is full of flavor and hearty ingredients that are exactly what you need during the winter season. It’s ultimate comfort in a bowl.
This slow cooker wild rice and chicken soup is perfect to serve on cold winter nights with a side salad and a slice of crusty buttered bread!
You can also serve the whole family’s soup in individual bread bowls for an extra filling and special treat!
What is Slow Cooker Wild Rice and Chicken Soup?
This slow cooker soup recipe contains shredded chicken, wild rice, mushrooms, and fresh veggies.
This hearty soup is made with simple ingredients with only 15 minutes to prep.
It will be one of your family’s favorite soups!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Everyone loves an easy slow cooker recipe, especially with our busy schedules.
- On a busy day, this is an easy crockpot chicken and rice soup recipe that only requires about 15 minutes of prep time.
- Easy recipes like this require very little effort, and it’s the perfect dish to serve when you need a hearty, yet simple meal.
- It’s a wonderful healthy meal to bring a mom who has just had a new baby, a neighbor who has just moved in next door, or a family recovering from illness during cold and flu season!
Tell Me About This Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Taste– This literally tastes like comfort food- savory, cozy, and pleasantly spiced!
- Texture– The best part is the tender chicken and vegetables, plus creamy broth.
- Ease– The first time you make it, you won’t believe how easy it is!
- Time– This wild rice soup recipe takes only 15 minutes to prep and 6 hours cooking time.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Boneless, Skinless Raw Chicken Breasts– This is the main protein source of the meal.
- Hot Water– The hot water provides most of the liquid for the chicken broth.
- Chicken Base or Chicken Bouillon Cubes– This adds to the chicken flavor in this delicious soup.
- Wild Rice– The rice is the carb that helps make this slow cooker dinner so filling.
- Garlic Powder– Garlic provides much of the savory flavor for the meal.
- Yellow Onion– Yellow onions are more mild than other onions, which add the perfect flavor.
- Carrots– The tender carrots add healthy vitamins, which are a great addition to the creamy soup.
- Celery- Celery has a delicious aroma!
- Italian Seasoning– This seasoning adds an earthy flavor to the slow cooker chicken.
- Bay Leaves- Bay leaves add an extra yummy flavor.
- Fresh Mushrooms- Mushrooms contain fiber and add thickness to the soup.
- Unsalted Butter– Butter makes everything better!
- All Purpose Flour– The flour helps to thicken the soup as a roux.
- Whole Milk– The milk also makes the roux.
- Half and Half– Half and half thickens the soup and makes it creamy.
- Salt and Black Pepper– Flavor it to your liking.
Make Slow Cooker Wild Rice and Chicken Soup in 3 Easy Steps
- Add chicken and chicken base to the slow cooker- Add the chicken and chicken base to the slow cooker, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken- Shred the chicken and then put it back in the slow cooker, along with the mushrooms.
- Make the roux and finish cooking- Make the roux and then add it to the slow cooker, and cook for another 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Variations for Slow Cooker Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken– You can use this instead of fresh chicken breasts, but you will need to shorten the cooking time.
- Coconut Milk– For dairy allergies, you can use coconut milk instead.
- Heavy Cream- Heavy cream would make the soup even thicker and creamier!
- Fresh Thyme– Instead of Italian seasoning, you can use fresh herbs.
- Fresh Sage– Again, use the fresh herbs if you prefer.
- Seasoning Packet– You can add an Italian seasoning packet for extra Italian flavoring.
Tips for the Best Slow Cooker Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Be sure to enjoy right away. The rice will start to absorb the liquid if it sits too long. If it does, add a touch more milk or half and half prior to enjoying.
- Be sure to taste the soup at the end to make sure you don’t need more salt or pepper.
Add-Ins for Slow Cooker Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- White Wine– White wine acts as a marinade and adds great flavor to chicken.
- Corn– Corn goes well with creamy rice and chicken soup dishes.
- Sweet Potatoes– Sweet potatoes would add extra nutrients to the soup as they are loaded with vitamins.
- Shredded Cheese- Cheese tastes delicious on just about anything!
How to Store Leftover Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
Once the soup has cooled to room temperature, store it in an airtight container or Ziplock bag in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to Reheat Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
Reheat the crock pot chicken either in a microwavable dish or on the stove top for the best results.
You may need to add a little extra broth or milk if it is too thick.
Frequently Asked Questions
This soup does not freeze well because of the rice after it has been cooked. However, you can freeze it before cooking. Simply place all of the ingredients in a Ziplock bag and lie it on its side in the freezer. Just make sure that the bag is sealed well so that it does not leak.
Yes, you can make it a few hours ahead of time.
Yes, they do! Plus, it is very filling and healthy for them, especially after an active day of school and sports.
Slow Cooker Wild Rick & Chicken Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Wild Rice & Chicken Soup
- 1 6-quart slow cooker
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 6 cups hot water
- 3 teaspoons chicken base, or chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- to taste salt and pepper
- Add your chicken to the slow cooker. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix the hot water and chicken base to a small bowl and mix until the base is dissolved. You may also just use chicken broth, but the base adds a richer flavor.
- To the slow cooker, add the chicken broth mixture you just made, wild rice, garlic powder, veggies, bay leaves, and seasonings. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it. You may use two forks to shred the chicken. Or, place it in the stand of your electric mixer and use the paddle attachment to shred the chicken. Add it back to the crockpot.
- Add the mushrooms to the slow cooker and cover. While this is cooking, make your roux.
- To make the roux, add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Stir it constantly.
- Once it's melted, add in the flour and whisk it until a paste forms. Slowly add in your milk and half and half while whisking. Allow the roux to gently bubble and it will thicken after about 3-5 minutes.
- Once your roux is thickened, add it to the slow cooker. Stir it well and let the soup cook for another 20-30 minutes.