When you think of fall comfort food, one of the first meals that comes to mind is a warm, delicious soup. It is even better when it can be made in an instant pot or slow cooker. This instant pot cheeseburger soup recipe is perfect for those cozy nights at home.
Having simple, flavorful instant pot recipes on hand for the nights that you just need dinner ready now are a game changer.
This soup is as easy as it is satisfying and perfect once the cold weather hits.
All of the classic flavors of a cheeseburger together in a soup, makes for a simple weeknight recipe you can pull together in a crunch.
This is a delicious recipe that your entire family will love.
What is Cheeseburger Soup?
This recipe is a great way to get all the flavors of a cheeseburger, quick and easily without pulling out your grill or cast iron skillet.
With so many options for toppings this soup is as versatile as it is delicious.
Your whole family will love the familiar taste of this cheesy soup, and the comfort of a warm bowl of hearty soup.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Since cheeseburgers are already so customizable, this instant pot soup recipe is the perfect dish to serve with all of the toppings you and your family love.
- The ease and convenience of the instant pot will make this meal the perfect easy weeknight recipe when you are short on time, but want big flavors. While the soup can be made in a crock pot or on the stove top, the instant pot reduces cook time for those busy weekday nights.
- This soup is a hearty, creamy and filling soup full of simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. You can even add extra veggies or swap out the ground beef for whatever ground meat you have on hand.
- If you have picky eaters in your house, this is a family favorite that the whole family will recognize and love.
Tell me about Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- Taste– With the classic ingredients of meat, cheese and onions, this soup is the perfect way to get all the comforting flavors of a cheeseburger but in a warm creamy soup. The sharp and creamy cheese are the perfect compliment to the meaty ground beef and starchy potatoes.
- Texture– This soup has a smooth, creamy base with soft bites of potatoes and ground beef. The rest of the ingredients give the soup a balanced flavor while driving home the cheeseburger taste.
- Ease– With minimal chopping and preparations, this meal is an easy weeknight dinner. You can easily buy shredded cheese and pre chopped veggies to make this process even easier.
- Time– Cooking this meal in the instant pot makes this whole process under 30 minutes. Using the instant pot also makes after dinner clean up even quicker, which will also save you time.
Ingredients for Cheeseburger Soup
- Ground Beef – For this recipe you can use whatever ground meat you have on hand. Using ground beef will make a more traditional cheeseburger flavor, but feel free to use ground chicken.
- Onion – You will want to use a white or yellow onion for this recipe. You could also use a shallot for a milder onion flavor.
- Carrots and Celery – Adding in some vegetables to this dish makes a traditional mirepoix found in many soup recipes and gives this dish amazing flavor. To help on time, I grab bags of shredded carrots from the produce section of our local grocery store.
- Seasonings – This soup calls for dried basil, dried parsley and Italian seasoning, however you could add some garlic powder or paprika to give it a smoky flavor. Whatever you do, don’t forget to give each bowl a crack of black pepper before serving.
- Butter – Butter in this recipe will round out all the flavors and will make the soup a soft creamy texture.
- All Purpose Flour – Flour is a key ingredient to thicken your soup base. You can substitute with whole wheat or gluten free flour for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – Adding chicken broth creates the soup base. You can use whatever broth you have on hand.
- Potatoes – Using yukon gold potatoes for this soup will make for a less starchy, more creamy texture. This soup would also be great with red potatoes or russet potatoes as well.
- Cheese – The velveeta adds a silky texture and combined with the cheddar, really drives home the cheeseburger flavors. You can use whatever cheese you like, just make sure it melts easily.
- Milk – For this recipe you can use whatever milk you have on hand. Adding buttermilk will add an extra tang to this soup. Heavy cream can be used in place of whole milk, too.
- Sour Cream – Sour Cream is a great flavor boost for this soup. The tangy flavor really compliments the rich cheeses by giving a bit of acid to this dish.
How to make Cheeseburger Soup in 3 Easy Steps
- Sauté– Start with the onions and the ground beef and sauté. Add in the vegetables and spices. Finish with the potatoes and broth.
- Make the Soup– Make sure the instant pot vent is set to “sealing” and select “high” on the “pressure cook/manual” setting. Put the cooking time to 3 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes.
- Thicken the Soup– Make your roux to thicken the soup and add a buttery flavor. Add your shredded cheddar cheese and velveeta cheese until melted. Stir in the sour cream. Enjoy!
Substitutions for Cheeseburger Soup
This soup is a great simple recipe that can easily be adjusted to your preferences.
- Meat– If you don’t have ground beef on hand try using ground turkey, chicken or even pork.
- Spices– You can also change up the spices to add a smoky, spicy, Italian, or Mexican twist to this soup.
- Cream Cheese- If you don’t have sour cream or plain greek yogurt, softened cream cheese can help give this great recipe its proper consistency.
- Pepper jack Cheese- Give this soup a kick by substituting pepper jack cheese for the sharp cheddar cheese.
Toppings for Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Chopped up pickles
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Green onions
- Homemade croutons
- Crumbled bacon or bacon bits
Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger Soup
- For this recipe you can also use a dutch oven on the stove top, or even a crockpot. When you use the crockpot just follow the steps in the recipe and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.Do not add the cheese and sour cream until you are ready to serve as they only need a few minutes to melt into the soup.
- Using good quality meat with a low fat content will make the soup have a smoother creamier texture without additional grease from the meat.
- The cheese is really the star of this recipe. Using velveeta makes for that unmistakable cheesy flavor that you get when you eat a cheeseburger.
How do you store leftover Cheeseburger Soup?
This easy recipe can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days. Make sure that the soup is brought to room temperature before storing.
How to reheat leftover Cheeseburger Soup
- Stovetop- Put leftover soup in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through, stirring frequently.
- Microwave- Put leftover soup in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a wet paper towel. Cook for three minutes stirring every sixty seconds until heated through.
- Oven- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and pour soup into an oven safe baking dish. If the soup is too thick add a bit of broth or water to the desired consistency. Cover with aluminum foil and heat until warmed through for approximately 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, however the cooking time will vary. Be prepared to add several minutes to the cooking time as well as allowing extra time for the instant pot to come to pressure.
This soup is a delightful blend of ground beef, cheese, potatoes, spices and vegetables. Fusing all of these flavors together in a soup is completely satisfying and comforting.
and add some of the soup to bring together. Once smooth, add to the pot of soup to thicken to your desired consistency.
Cheeseburger Soup in Instant Pot Recipe
Cheeseburger Soup in Instant Pot
- 1 8 quart instant pot
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ diced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded velveeta cheese
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Add the olive oil to an 8 quart instant pot and press the sauté function. When it is hot, add in your onion and ground beef. Sauté until your beef is no longer pink.
- Add in the celery, carrots, dried basil, dried parsley, and italian seasoning and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and broth. Put on the lid and lock into place.
- Make sure the instant pot vent is set to "sealing" and select "high" on the "pressure cook/manual" setting. Put the cooking time to 3 minutes.
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes and then release the rest of the pressure with the pressure valve (known as a quick release). Be sure to cover the valve with a towel to prevent the steam from burning you- it is very hot.
- In a small saucepan on the stove, melt the butter while the pressure on your instant pot releases.
- Add in the ¼ cup flour and whisk to combine. Slowly add in the milk and whisk to make a roux.
- Add the roux to the soup and stir to thicken.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted. If the cheese doesn’t melt, press the sauté button and let it heat up the soup to melt the cheese. Turn it off once the soup is heated.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and sour cream and enjoy!