The most important part of your steak, aside from the perfect way get those flavorful exteriors while maintaining a juice interior, is what to serve with the steak. These are the BEST side dishes to serve with your perfect steak.
Steak is one of those things that is a staple in our home.
While it is a special treat that we eat every blue moon, it is always in our freezer ready to be enjoyed when the itch strikes.
You can enjoy a humble cut of beef and also splurge for the rich and sophisticated filet mignon wrapped in crispy bacon.
Regardless, you want to make sure the side dishes you serve with your steak is top notch and that they add to the delight that comes with each juicy bite of steak.
Best Side Dishes For A Backyard Grilled Steak
Sometimes, you’d just rather enjoy a grill-out on the deck with delicious steaks rather than burgers. Using aluminum foil and a little olive oil, you can use the grill to cook up a wide variety of side dishes. It’s best to choose sides that either pair well with the extra flavor of being cooked on a grill, or cooler sides to help tone down the heat!
- Onion Rings – Crisp onion rings are easy to make and taste delicious.
- Buttery Lemon Garlic Pasta– A light, fresh pasta with a rich garlic sauce.
- Slaw – A crisp, homemade coleslaw is worlds better than anything you can get in a store. Try a red cabbage and fennel slaw!
- Green Beans – A side of fresh green beans tastes delicious in the summer. Season them with some lemon zest, or garlic.
- Grilled Tomatoes – Cut a garden-fresh tomato in half, and stick it cut-side down on the grill with a splash of vinegar.
- Corn On The Cob – Since you have the grill hot, might as well throw some sweet corn on it!
- Garlic Bread – Slice a loaf of bread, cover them in bread and garlic, and then wrap them in aluminum foil and grill them.
- Buttery Focaccia Bread– Opt for the softer side of life with slices of this buttery, herby fococcia bread.
Tasty Sides For An Elegant Steak Dinner
For a dinner party that has filet mignon as the star of the show, you may want to offer steak sides that are slightly more fancy. If you use a reverse-sear method to cook your steak in cast iron, you’ll already have the oven going. It doesn’t take much extra effort to throw in a pan of vegetables to roast as well!
- Roasted Vegetables – Vegetables take on a wonderful flavor and texture when they’re roasted with a good amount of olive oil and sea salt. Try brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, or parsnips. Roasted carrots taste delicious with a balsamic vinegar glaze, to bring out their sweetness.
- Whole Artichokes – Is anything quite as elegant as a whole roasted artichoke with a creamy dressing?
- Mint Peas – After boiling some sweet peas, melt some butter them and then mince some fresh mint. Toss together with a little lemon juice, and serve.
- Buttered Rolls – Not only do rolls taste great by themselves, they also work nicely to soak up any steak juices that happen to be left on the plate.
- Creamy Pesto Pasta- Grilling is for the summertime and so is this fresh pesto pasta that is simple and refreshing.
Top Potato Sides To Pair With A Juicy Steak
Potatoes and steak seem to be the perfect pairing. And there are many ways to cook a potato! Whether you need a simple side dish for a backyard get-together, or something fir for the dinner table, potatoes have got you covered. Here are plenty of ideas to get you started!
- Potato Salad – A perfect option for an evening on the patio, a cold potato salad contrasts nicely with a hot, juicy steak.
- French Fries – Fries are a crowd favorite, and there are so many ways to make them! Wedge fries, spiral fries, sweet potato fries – the options are endless.
- Roasted Potatoes – Roasted baby potatoes are a classy way to put potatoes alongside steak. They taste particularly delicious with garlic, butter, and rosemary.
- Mashed Potatoes – If you’re serving your steak with a creamy sauce, pair it with mashed potatoes and give that sauce more attention!
- Baked Potatoes – Steak and baked potato – the steakhouse classic. And for good reason! Season your potatoes up with some olive oil and salt before baking them, and be sure to offer cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Hasselback Potatoes – If you want to take your baked potatoes to the next level, try hasselback potatoes instead.
- Scalloped Potatoes – Potatoes and cheese are always a good idea.
Salad Sides For A Steak Dinner
A side salad is a healthy option to pair with a steak. It’s lightness and crisp flavors are a perfect balance to the juiciness of a well cooked steak.
Whatever salad you land on, be sure to make homemade Italian croutons to elevate the dish to the next level- it’s worth it!
- Wedge Salad – A unique way to serve a salad, cut a wedge of iceberg lettuce, top with bacon and tomatoes, and drizzle with a blue cheese dressing.
- Arugula Salad – Using arugula instead of lettuce in a salad adds an interesting visual, and has a tangier flavor.
- Simple Lettuce Salad – Sometimes, the best foods are the simplest. Start with lettuce leaves and add whatever vegetables you like for bright flavors and healthy nutrition.
Toppings To Serve With A Good Steak
A flavorful steak topping can almost be considered a side dish in itself!
- Red Onions – Onions become sweet when sauteed and caramelized, making a great steak topping. If you want a subtle onion flavor, finely dice your onions to get the perfect flavor.
- Mushrooms – Sauteed mushrooms are a delicious topping for a perfect steak. Use button or wild mushrooms.
- Peppercorn Sauce – This classic sauce combines shallots, butter, peppercorns, red wine, and heavy cream into a truly delectable sauce.
- Bearnaise Sauce – Combine heavy cream, vinegar, tarragon, shallots, and egg yolks into a classic French sauce.
- Chimichurri – Classic chimichurri sauce is a South American sauce that uses shallots, parsley, and garlic.
Perfect Desserts for Steak
There’s the steak and then there’s the dessert, if you can handle that much goodness in one meal.
These are great summery desserts that pair perfectly as the encore to your steak dinner.
I hope you found some delicious options to serve with your summer steak. Let me know in the comments what other sides you love with your steak!