This delicious crusty bread has been a staple in our home for years. It is perfect for beginner bakers because it is, literally, a no fail bread recipe!
We eat a lot of bread over here and for good reason. There’s nothing like the smell of warm bread baking in the oven. To be honest, I am either baking or looking for new recipes to bake pretty much on the daily.
What makes a bread recipe the best?
I tend to lean towards the easy recipes that don’t take a lot of ingredients. I’ve found that those recipes go over better with my family compared to the unusual ones. Also, if it’s too difficult, it won’t be worth the effort. I want it to be rewarding and not exhausting. I also want it to turn out and be enjoyed every time, which is why this no fail bread recipe is perfect for busy moms who want to bake from scratch, but also want to be sure it will be delicious.
First steps in making Delicious Crusty Bread
The thing I love about this bread is that I start it the night before and there is no need to knead the bread dough, or anything. You mix the ingredients in a glass bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and a tea towel, and set it in a corner on your kitchen counter. It is that simple! I can’t even explain how easy this is.
If you are new to bread making… use this recipe. It will be a hit and it’s a no fail bread recipe, I promise!!!
The next morning…
The next morning, dump this dough (it should look shaggy and it’ll be sticky) onto a floured surface and fold it several times making sure to not squeeze all of the bubbles out. Don’t stress about this part too much. Simple fold the dough several times to get the flour on the counter worked into it so it isn’t as sticky.
Cover the dough with a tea towel and let it rest for 15-30 minutes.
While it rests, put your baking dish (I highly recommend a cast iron with a lid, dutch oven, or stoneware with a lid for this recipe) in the oven and preheat it to 450 degrees.
Baking the No Fail Bread
When the dish and oven is preheated, carefully place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom so the bread releases easily after it is done baking. Plop the bread dough into the dish, cover with the lid, and slide it back into the oven.
Bake the bread covered for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 15-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
No Fail Bread TIP
Slightly over done bread is WAY better than slightly under baked bread. Err on the side of over baking. Make sure the bread is nice and golden brown before removing it from the oven.
Tools you may need
Other No Fail Recipe to try
No-Fail Crusty Bread
- dutch oven
- 3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 5/8 cups warm water
- extra flour as needed
- The NIGHT BEFORE: combine ingredients in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, a tea towel, and set aside for 12-18 hours
- The MORNING OF BAKING: Dust your counter and dump the shaggy, sticky dough onto the flour. Fold the dough + a dusting of flour onto itself, being mindful to not squish out all of the air bubbles formed within the dough.
- Let the dough rest, covered with a tea towel, for 15-30 minutes. Preheat baking dish and oven to 450 degrees at this time. You want the oven HOT so your bread gets a delicious crusty outer layer.
- Once preheated, bring out the dutch oven and carefully place a small piece of parchment inside so the dough releases easily once baked. Dump the dough into the dutch oven, place the lid on the dish, and pop it back into the oven.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake until golden brown; 15-30 minutes.
- Let cool, slice, and ENJOY!