Easy baked chicken taquitos are a family favorite and a crowd pleaser. With just a few ingredients, you can whip up these delicious baked taquitos.
Tacos, or anything Mexican, are some of our favorite meals. They are customizable and everyone in the family loves them. Taco bars are often a weekly meal in our home, and for good reason.
Taquitos are much the same. They are crispy and gooey, all at the same time. Even my pickiest eaters devour these and ask for more.
Baked Chicken Taquitos Ingredients
- Tortillas– We choose to make small taquitos, so we use street taco sized tortillas. Any size will work, though!
- Chicken– I bake the chicken for 30 minutes, or until done, and then shred it in my food processor.
- Cream Cheese– When I plan on baking taquitos, I grab my cream cheese and allow it to soften on the counter.
- Cheddar cheese– shredded
- Salsa– Use whatever your family loves- mild,spicy; red,green
- Spices– Cumin, Garlic powder, Onion powder
- Lime Juice– Fresh is best, but use whatever you have. You can even use 2-3 drops of lime essential oil.
- Fresh Cilantro– You may use dried cilantro, but fresh is by far the best choice for these.
Baked Taquitos in 4 Easy Steps
- Bake Chicken and Shred in food processor or with forks
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, softened cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, shredded cheese and mix thoroughly
- Fill tortillas with the mixture, but be sure you can still roll the tortillas. Don’t overfill.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes
Tips and Tricks for Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Don’t overfill the taquitos. They will be crispier if you only fill with a small amount.
- Brush the rolled taquitos with avocado oil and sprinkle with salt prior to baking to create a crispy, salty crust on the top of the taquitos.
- After baking, broil for 1-2 minutes to make the tops even crispier.
Substitutions and Variations for Chicken Taquitos
These are totally customizable, so fill them with whatever your family will love.
- Beef- You can replace the chicken with shredded beef or ground beef.
- Pork- These are delicious with pulled pork in place of the chicken.
- Breakfast Taquitos- Fill these with pork sausage, eggs, and cheese to create a breakfast taquito!
- Cheese- Replace the cheddar cheese with a mexican blend or pepperjack blend to give them even more kick!
- Taquitos in Air Fryer- Place frozen taquitos in the bottom of the air fryer. Coat with cooking oil. Fry at 390°F for 8-10 minutes, or until done. Shake gently to keep the taquitos moving and ensure even frying.
Why You’ll love this recipe
- These are great on the go! Make these ahead and pack them for an easy “on the go” snack. They are even great for hot, summer evenings when the kids are hungry, but don’t want to stop playing. They can take one outside and play as they eat.
- Great for parties– These are crowd pleasers and wonderful for parties.
- Make ahead– Taquitos are a great make ahead meal. Make the filling, fill the tortillas, place them on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them (freeze them on the cookie sheet before baking them). Then, place them in a ziplock to bake later.
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- 2-3 cooked chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 flour tortillas
- Bake chicken and shred in a food processor or with forks.
- Mix the chicken, cream cheese, salsa, spices, cilantro, shredded cheese, and lime juice thoroughly.
- Fill tortillas with mixture and roll up tightly, laying on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20-25 minutes.