Looking for a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer that’s perfect for any occasion? Maybe you want an easy dinner time meal. Look no further than this Caprese Flatbread recipe! With its fresh ingredients and simple preparation, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Dinner can be a busy time of the day, but as a mom, I still want to have something warm and fresh to feed my family in the midst of the hustle and bustle.
We love pizza and I love caprese anything, so this flatbread is perfection on a platter, if you ask me!
When you bring the comfort of pizza together with this classic salad favorite, the result is a flavorful and satisfying appetizer that’s perfect for sharing with friends and family.
What is Caprese Flatbread?
If you’re a fan of the classic Caprese salad, you’ll love this Caprese flatbread recipe.
Caprese flatbread is a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer or main course that’s perfect for any occasion.
It’s a simple, but flavorful dish that combines the perfect combination of fresh flavors.
The traditional Caprese salad is a classic Italian dish that consists of sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
The Caprese flatbread recipe takes this classic dish and turns it into a delicious flatbread pizza.
To make Caprese flatbread, you’ll need a few simple ingredients, including pizza dough, fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves.
You can also add other toppings like sliced red onions, roasted garlic, or grilled chicken to make it even more flavorful.
It’s a great appetizer or main course that you can serve at a fun gathering or for a quick supper.
Why You’ll Love This Flatbread Recipe
- If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner that’s both quick and delicious, this caprese flatbread recipe is the perfect choice. It’s a great way to take your flatbread to the next level with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
- One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. You can use any type of flatbread that you like, whether it’s store-bought or homemade. And the toppings are completely customizable too. You can add more or less of any ingredient to suit your taste.
- The combination of flavors in this caprese flatbread is truly amazing. The juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, and creamy mozzarella cheese all come together to create a mouthwatering dish that’s sure to impress your family and friends.
- Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. You can have it on the table in just 20 minutes, making it the perfect choice for a quick and satisfying meal.
Ingredients for Caprese Flatbread
To make a delicious caprese flatbread, you will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle of balsamic glaze
- Fresh tomatoes (juicy cherry or small heirloom tomatoes work well)
- Parmesan cheese
- Pesto sauce
- Mozzarella balls or fresh mozzarella cheese slices
- Red onions
- Garlic clove
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Flatbread (you can use any type of flatbread you prefer)
Make Caprese Flatbread in 3 Easy Steps
Caprese flatbread is a delicious and easy dish that you can make in just a few steps. Whether you’re looking for a quick dinner or a party appetizer, this recipe is sure to please.
Here’s how to make caprese flatbread in 3 easy steps.
- Step 1: Prepare the Dough– To make caprese flatbread, you’ll need pizza dough or store-bought naan. If you’re using pizza dough, roll it out on a floured work surface until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. If you’re using naan, skip this step. Next, place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Step 2: Add the Toppings- To make caprese flatbread, you’ll need sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese. Arrange the tomato slices on top of the dough, leaving a small border around the edges. Sprinkle the basil on top of the tomatoes. Next, add the mozzarella cheese on top of the tomatoes and basil. Make sure to cover the entire surface of the dough.
- Step 3: Bake and Serve– Bake the caprese flatbread in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the crust is golden brown. Remove the flatbread from the oven and let it cool for 1-2 minutes before slicing and serving.
That’s it! With just a few simple steps, you can make delicious caprese flatbread that’s sure to impress.
Variations for Flatbreads
Looking for a way to customize your flatbread recipe? Here are a few variations that you can try out to switch things up:
- Pizza Sauce– If you prefer a saucy flatbread, try swapping out the olive oil for pizza sauce. Spread a generous amount of sauce on the flatbread and top it with mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil for a classic caprese pizza.
- Rotisserie Chicken– Want to add some protein to your flatbread? Shred some rotisserie chicken and sprinkle it over the top before baking. You can also add some sliced red onion and a sprinkle of feta cheese for a Greek-inspired twist.
- Caprese Pizza– For a more traditional caprese pizza, use a pizza dough instead of a flatbread. Top the dough with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves. Drizzle some balsamic glaze over the top before baking for an extra burst of flavor.
- Naan Flatbread– If you don’t have any flatbread on hand, naan bread makes a great substitute. Top it with olive oil, sliced tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella for a quick and easy caprese flatbread.
No matter which variation you choose, be sure to bake your flatbread until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Enjoy!
Add-Ins for Caprese Flatbread
If you’re looking to elevate your Caprese flatbread game, consider adding some extra ingredients to make it even more delicious.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Tangy Balsamic Glaze– A tangy balsamic glaze can add a sweet and sour flavor to your Caprese flatbread. To make it, pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and let it simmer over medium heat until it reduces by half. Drizzle the glaze over the flatbread before baking or after it comes out of the oven.
- Grape Tomatoes– While ripe tomatoes are the traditional choice for Caprese salads and flatbreads, grape tomatoes can add a burst of flavor and texture. Cut them in half and scatter them over the flatbread before baking.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil– A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil can add richness and depth to your Caprese flatbread. Be sure to use high-quality oil for the best flavor.
- Balsamic Reduction– Similar to the tangy balsamic glaze, a balsamic reduction can add a sweet and sour flavor to your flatbread. To make it, pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and let it simmer over medium heat until it thickens and becomes syrupy. Drizzle the reduction over the flatbread before baking or after it comes out of the oven.
Adding any of these ingredients can take your Caprese flatbread to the next level and impress your whole family. Experiment with different combinations to find your perfect recipe.
How to Store Leftover Caprese Flatbread
If you have any leftover Caprese flatbread, you’ll want to make sure it stays fresh and delicious for as long as possible. Here’s how to store it properly:
- First, make sure the flatbread has cooled completely before storing it.
- Place the flatbread in an airtight container. This will help prevent moisture from getting in and making the flatbread soggy.
- If you have multiple pieces of flatbread, separate them with a layer of parchment paper or wax paper. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Store the container in the refrigerator. The cool temperature will help keep the flatbread fresh for up to 3 days.
- When you’re ready to eat the leftover flatbread, you can reheat it in the oven or on a skillet. This will help restore its crispiness and make it taste like it was just freshly made.
With these simple steps, you can make sure your leftover Caprese flatbread stays fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
How to Reheat Flatbreads
If you have leftover caprese flatbreads and want to enjoy them again, reheating them is the way to go. Here are a few ways to reheat your flatbreads:
In the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet and cover them with foil.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the flatbreads are heated through.
In the Microwave
- Place the flatbreads on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cover them with a damp paper towel.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until heated through.
On the Stovetop
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place the flatbreads in the skillet and cover them with a lid.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
No matter which method you choose, make sure to keep an eye on the flatbreads to prevent them from burning. Enjoy your reheated caprese flatbreads!
Tips for the Best Caprese Flatbread
Making the perfect Caprese Flatbread is all about the details. Here are a few tips to help you create a delicious and visually appealing dish that will impress your guests.
- Choose the Right Flatbread- The foundation of any good flatbread is the bread itself. For this recipe, we recommend using Stonefire brand flatbread. Their flatbreads are made with high-quality ingredients and have a perfect texture for this dish. If you can’t find Stonefire brand, look for a flatbread that is thin and crispy.
- Use Fresh Ingredients– The key to a great Caprese Flatbread is using fresh, high-quality ingredients. We recommend visiting your local Farmer’s Market to find the freshest produce. Look for ripe tomatoes, fragrant basil, and high-quality mozzarella cheese. Using fresh ingredients will give your flatbread a burst of flavor and a vibrant look.
- Prep Your Ingredients– To ensure that your flatbread cooks evenly and your toppings stay in place, it’s important to prep your ingredients before assembling your flatbread. Slice your tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into thin slices. Chiffonade your basil leaves by stacking them on top of each other, rolling them tightly, and slicing them into thin ribbons.
- Assemble Your Flatbread– When assembling your flatbread, start by brushing it with olive oil. This will help the flatbread crisp up and give it a nice flavor. Next, layer your tomato and mozzarella slices on top of the flatbread, alternating between the two. Sprinkle your chiffonaded basil on top of the cheese and tomatoes, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook Your Flatbread– To cook your Caprese Flatbread, preheat your oven to 425°F. Place your flatbread on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the edges of the flatbread are golden brown. Once your flatbread is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
How to Make Your Own Balsamic Glaze
Making your own balsamic glaze is easy and adds a sweet tang to your caprese flatbread. Here’s how:
- In a small saucepan, heat balsamic vinegar over medium heat. Stir occasionally until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until it has reduced by half.
- Stir occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes before transferring it to a squeeze bottle or jar.
That’s it! You now have a delicious balsamic glaze to drizzle over your caprese flatbread.
Note that some recipes may call for adding sugar or honey to the vinegar before heating it up. This is optional and depends on your preference for sweetness.
Also, make sure to use a good quality balsamic vinegar for the best flavor. Look for one that is aged and has a thick consistency.
Caprese Flatbread Recipe
Classic Caprese Flatbread
- 1 cookie sheet
- 1 parchment paper
- 8 mini na'an bread or pizza crust
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 ounces fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 6 ounce jar pesto
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Lay out your baking sheets and place parchment paper on them for easy clean up.
- Wash and slice your cherry tomatoes and red onion.
- Brush your flatbreads with olive oil and toast for 3 minutes in the oven.
- Remove the flatbreads and spread a tablespoon of your pesto on top. Layer on your tomatoes, onions, mozzarella, and basil.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze on top and bake in your oven for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on your flatbreads to make sure they don't burn. You might have to bake a few extra minutes to get them crispy since every oven cooks differently.