If you’re anything like me, a pile of tortilla chips drenched in creamy queso dip with ground beef is what you call a perfect party snack. The best queso dip uses simple ingredients and is perfect for those get togethers or even taco bar night.
I know queso dip isn’t the healthiest snack you can gobble down, but man is it delicious.
Loving this savory treat was reason enough for me to figure out how to make this a healthier dish.
This creamy queso dip uses wholesome ingredients and adds ground beef to amp up the protein.
And, if you’re hosting people for game day or you’re simply having a small gathering, queso, chips, and a few other grab and go snacks are all you need!
Why You’ll Love My Easy Beef Queso Dip
- Everybody loves queso dip! It’s a huge crowd pleaser and an easy party appetizer. This is the perfect party food to bring to the big game, New Year’s Eve party, or just a simple family movie night.
- This entire recipe happens in one large skillet on the stove top. This makes for easy clean-up!
- By using real cheese and adding ground beef, you’ll make a queso dip that is actually rather nutritious and hearty! It’s always aggravating to come home from a get-together and have children complain of hunger because all they had were carb-heavy snacks. This protein-rich dip will give everyone a filling option.
- It’s a great way to use up leftovers after taco night. Do you have leftover taco meat? Don’t worry about browning more for this recipe – just throw it in! Extra diced tomatoes, black olives, onions? It will all taste great in a beefy queso dip!
Tell Me About This Homemade Queso Dip
- Taste – It’s cheesy. It’s got a hint of spice (and you can always add more)! The ground beef and tomatoes add a great flavor.
- Texture – The blend of melted cheese creates a creamy consistency for the more hearty bites of beef.
- Ease – Once you have the base sauce made, the rest of this easy recipe is as simple as adding ingredients and stirring them in.
- Time – It doesn’t take long for this cheesy dip to come together, particularly if you brown the ground beef ahead of time.
Ingredients You’ll Need For A Meaty Queso Dip
- Butter – You’ll use this to saute the onions and garlic. Choose unsalted butter, if you can!
- Onion – Red onion is best eaten raw, so yellow or white onions are your best bet for this simple recipe!
- Garlic – If you mince your own garlic, you’ll enjoy a stronger flavor!
- Rotel Tomatoes – One can is all you need! You can dice your own tomatoes as well, but rotel diced tomatoes include spices and green chilies that save you the bother of adding them later.
- Flour – The flour will mix with the butter, onion, and garlic to make a roux and help thicken your dip.
- Milk – I use whole milk. The extra fat content will make a creamier dip.
- Cheese – Freshly shredded cheese is the key to this delicious recipe. I prefer a combination of cheddar cheese and monterey jack cheese, but pepper jack cheese is another great option.
- Cream Cheese – Set your cream cheese out to soften beforehand. It will make it much easier to mix with the other cheeses!
- Ground Beef – Brown the ground beef separately, and be sure to use a paper towel to drain off excess grease!
How To Make This Queso Cheese Dip With Meat
- Make The Base Sauce- Make a quick roux with butter, onion, garlic, and flour, then add milk to make a thick sauce.
- Add Rotel- Once the base sauce is made, add the can of rotel tomatoes and give them a good stir.
- Add The Cheeses and Meat- Add these remaining ingredients and stir until the the cheeses are gooey and melted.
Add Ins For A Extra Flavorful Dip
- Do you like a more spicy dip? Add green chiles, chopped jalapeno pepper, chili powder, or taco seasoning.
- For a bit more crunch, stir in some chopped green onions.
- You can add color by sprinkling on some fresh cilantro.
- When deciding to add to your beefy queso dip the next time you make it, just think about toppings you would find at a Mexican restaurant – black olives and cooked black beans are great options!
- This recipe makes a creamy queso, but you can add a spoonful of sour cream as well!
How To Eat Hot Homemade Dips
Whether it’s hot onion dip, spinach artichoke dip, or this cheesy beefy queso dip, there’s more than one way to enjoy hot, homemade dips!
- Tortilla Chips
- Corn Chips
- Whole Grain Crackers
Top Tips For Perfect Beefy Queso Dip
- Shred your own cheese! Packages of preshredded cheese contain an additive powder that keeps the pieces of cheese from sticking back together in the bag. That additive will prevent the cheese from melting into the gooey consistency we need.
- Avoid using cubed velveeta cheese. I know it’s commonly reached for in queso dips because it melts into a great consistency, but you can achieve the same consistency by grating your own cheese and adding cream cheese. And then, you’ll have the added benefit of using actual cheese!
- If you’re bringing your homemade queso dip to a large gathering, consider transferring it to a slow cooker! A slow cooker placed on the warm setting will keep your dip hot and gooey for a long time.
How To Store Leftover Homemade Queso Dip
When the Super Bowl game is done and it’s time to pack up leftovers, you can store your extra queso dip in an airtight container placed in the fridge.
Enjoy the leftovers for up to four days.
How to reheat Queso Dip with Meat
To reheat, scoop dip into a small saucepan to reheat on the stove over low heat.
Queso Dip with Meat Recipe
Queso Dip with Meat
- 1 saucepan
- 1 pound cooked ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 can rotel
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the flour and stir until completely mixed.
- Slowly add in the milk and whisk on low until thickened.
- Add in the can of rotel stirring to combine.
- To the pan add 1 cup of the cheese and mix until melted. Repeat with the second cup of cheese.
- Take the cream cheese and add it to the pan and stir until melted and combined. Enjoy immediately.
- Shred your own cheese. It makes this dip 100 times better.
- Opt out of the velveeta blocks to keep it healthier.
- To keep it warm for long periods of time, keep it in a crock pot.