Beef stroganoff is a family favorite in our home and it’s no surprise. The deliciousness of the hearty beef sauce on a bed of egg noodles is what comfort food is made of. This crock pot beef stroganoff is a spin off of the original recipe made for those busy nights when you need supper waiting on you!
I don’t remember growing up eating this dish, but a few years ago I decided to give it a go after wondering what it tasted like.
It was an instant hit in our home for many reasons.
Beef stroganoff is full of depth of flavor and can be tossed together with mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice!
Everyone in my family loves it and it takes very little hands-on time to whip up.
This recipe is even better because you can make it, toss it in the crock pot early in the day, and have it ready for you when it’s supper time.
Why You’ll Love This Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Stroganoff is a family favorite comfort food, perfect for chilly mornings and frosty evenings.
- Children love pasta. This nutrient-dense, creamy sauce turns egg noodles into a healthful and filling meal the whole family will love!
- My recipe for creamy beef stroganoff uses simple ingredients and basic cooking methods. It takes only a little bit longer than opening cans of cream of mushroom soup, and is so much healthier!
- It makes a great freezer meal! Make a batch of the sauce ahead of time and store in freezer bags. On busy days, simply empty the bag into the crockpot and set it to work. There will be nothing left for you to do than cook up noodles that evening!
Tell Me About This Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Texture – The creamy sauce served over al dente egg noodles makes a pleasant, chewy texture.
- Taste – Mushrooms, garlic, mustard, and beef broth combine to a rustic, hearty flavor.
- Ease – This crockpot beef stroganoff recipe couldn’t be easier. Once the beef is browned and the vegetables softened, it all goes into the crockpot.
- Time – Fifteen minutes in the morning is all you need for a delicious and filling supper!
Ingredients For Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Ground Beef – Basic. Simple. Readily available.
- Green Onions – Just use the white parts. Save the green slices for another recipe or the compost bin.
- Mushrooms – My easy recipe uses canned mushrooms for ease on a busy day, but feel free to use fresh mushrooms or baby bellas instead!
- Beef Broth – This serves as the base of the stroganoff sauce. You can use beef stock or bone broth as well.
- Worcestershire Sauce – A little goes a long way with this tangy sauce!
- Mustard – Dijon mustard is my choice, but any prepared mustard will give you the flavor you need.
- Flour – This is your thickening agent. You can use corn starch as well.
- Greek Yogurt – Adds a thick creaminess to the stroganoff sauce. You can use sour cream or cream cheese instead!
- Garlic – Garlic powder is what I often use, but you can use minced cloves as well. Just add them to the onions and mushrooms when sauteeing.
- Egg Noodles – Any egg noodles you choose, cooked according to package directions.
How To Make This Beef Stroganoff
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Be sure to drain off the excess grease!
- While your beef is browning, make your sauce! Melt a stick of butter, and saute sliced mushrooms and sliced green onions for a couple minutes. Once your vegetables are tender, add flour as a thickening agent. To this, add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and all of your seasonings.
- Combine the ground beef and the sauce in a slow cooker, and cook on low for 6 hours. Although the beef is cooked, and the sauce is cooked, this lets the flavors of the sauce seep into the meat, as well as help the creamy mushroom sauce thicken.
- Right before serving, cook the egg noodles. While they’re cooking, add Greek yogurt to the sauce in the crockpot. Ladle some sauce over the egg noodles, and eat up!
What Is Beef Stroganoff Best Served With?
To round out your menu, pair this slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe with:
- Side Salad- Be sure to whip up some homemade sourdough croutons for the salad!
- Red Wine
- Fresh Bread- My rustic no-fail bread or my sourdough French loaf would pair perfectly with this dish!
- French Cut Green Beans
What Is The Best Meat For Beef Stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff doesn’t need to just use ground beef! While ground beef is an easy and budget-friendly cut, here are other options to change up your routine:
- Chuck Roast – This tender cut of beef can braise in the sauce while cooking in the crockpot. To lock in juiciness, sear it on all sides in a hot skillet before adding it to the pot.
- Beef Stew Meat – Sear the pieces and cook in the sauce until mouth tender.
- Round Steak – A tougher, lean cut of beef that really benefits from slow cooking. Cut it in slices.
- Sirloin Steak – Be sure to cut the steak into bite size pieces prior to adding them to the crockpot.
- Meatballs – A fun option that children enjoy!
Add Ins For Slow Cooker Ground Beef Stroganoff
Every good recipe can be tweaked to make new recipes. Here are some ideas to try:
- Tomato Paste – Add tomato paste to the sauce for a change of flavor.
- French Onion Soup Mix – These ready-made seasoning packets will amp up the onion flavor.
- Red Wine – Red wine pairs perfectly with beef, especially if cooked into the recipe!
How To Store Leftover Ground Beef Stroganoff
Ground beef stroganoff makes popular leftovers! Some children prefer more or less sauce, so decide whether you want to store the noodles and sauce separately or combined. Let the stroganoff come to room temperature, then place in an airtight container for a delicious lunch the next day!
How To Reheat This Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
When it’s time reheat your leftovers, you can use either the microwave, stovetop, or oven.
- Microwave – Using a microwave-safe container or bowl, microwave for 90 seconds. If the stroganoff is still chilled, give it a stir and microwave for 30 seconds more.
- Stovetop – Simply place the leftovers in a pot and cook over medium heat until warmed through.
- Oven – Make sure you’re using an over-safe dish! Warm the oven to 350 degrees and place your dish in the oven for 5 minutes.
Fresh Herbs That Taste Great With Beef Stroganoff
This final touch before serving will take your simple beef stroganoff to the next level.
- Poppy Seeds
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 crock pot
- 1 medium skillet
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 stick butter
- 4 sliced green onions
- 1 6 ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt, or sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound package of egg noodles
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink, drain, and add to the crock pot.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet and sauté the onions and mushrooms for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until the liquid combines with the flour.
- Pour in the beef broth and stir until the flour is dissolved into the liquid.
- Add in the worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Pour sauce over the meat in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. You may want to eat it before that and that is fine.
- Cook egg noodles according to the instructions on the package 10 minutes before you are ready to eat. Scoop the stroganoff mixture over a bed of noodles and enjoy!