What’s better than a one pan meal? A one pan meal with amazing flavor and color! Today, I’m going to share what to serve with Italian sausage and peppers because this delicious recipe is sure to be a staple in your home!
Whenever you’re looking for one pan or one skillet recipes, make sure to add this Italian sausage and peppers recipe to your weekly meal planning list.
This recipe can be found in food trucks and at ball fields. They even have food stands at amusement parks selling sausage and onions, usually on a hoagie bun. This isn’t just a family meal, but it’s also a fan favorite.
Not only is this the easiest recipe ever, but it uses different colors of bell peppers, which creates a beautiful visual for the food as well. And, as you know, we eat with our eyes first!
This easy weeknight meal is great for the whole family and completely adaptable when it comes to the kind of sausage you decide to use. Whether you choose hot italian sausages , sweet sausage, or a mild sausage, this will become one of your family’s favorite recipes.
One reason you are sure to love this recipe is that it can be made on the grill, on cast iron skillets, a baking sheet, a dutch oven, and even a slow cooker. Let’s get to the good stuff and dish out the details on this family favorite.
How do you make Italian Sausage and Peppers in 4 easy steps?
- Slice Veggies– wash and slice veggies, lengthwise
- Brown Sausage– heat oil in a skillet and brown the sausage on medium-warm heat to get the casings crisp, but not burnt
- Cook Veggies and Slice Sausage– Remove sausage and set aside. Add butter to skillet and sauté veggies for a couple of minutes. Slice sausage while the veggies cook.
- Add Sausage to Veggies– add sliced sausage to the veggies and cook with the broth, spices, and diced tomatoes.
What kind sausage can be used?
You can use whatever sausage your family prefers. If your family likes dishes hot, then grab a spicy sausage for an extra kick. If you have little kids, you might choose a mild sausage.
- Mild Italian Sausage
- Sweet Italian Sausage
- Hot Italian Sausage / Spicy Italian Sausage
- Turkey Sausage
- Chicken Sausage
Ingredients for Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Italian Sausage– Choose the flavor that your family will like. We prefer 2 packs, which adds up to 10 links of sausage since leftovers are just as good as the fresh dish.
- Sweet Yellow Onion– The sweet nature of this onion will compliment the burst of flavor from the sausage.
- Sweet Peppers– Three bell peppers- one green bell pepper, one red bell pepper, and one yellow bell pepper will work great for this easy recipe. If you don’t have multi-colored peppers, green peppers will work just fine.
- Olive Oil– This oil is preferred when browning the sausage in a large skillet.
- Butter– Used to sauté the peppers and onions.
- Spices– Fresh garlic, basil, and oregano
- Diced Tomatoes– To give this dish a bit of acid to marry the flavors together.
- Chicken Broth or White Wine– Added to help cook the sausage and veggies.
Different ways to Cook Italian Sausage and Peppers
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Put all of the ingredients in an instant pot.
- Put the lid on and set the valve to seal option
- Cook on high pressure for 15-20 minutes
- Do a quick release on the vent and it’s ready to go!
Sausage and Peppers in Oven
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Slice the onions, peppers and sausage and place them on the pan.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over top the sausage and peppers with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cook in oven for 25 minutes
Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Add the Italian Sausage to the slow cooker and place the bell peppers and onions on top.
- Sprinkle on the seasonings and broth and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Steamed Rice- this dish pairs wonderfully atop some steamed rice
- Roasted Asparagus- Pack this dish full of veggies with some more greens
- Crusty Bread– dip this in the flavorful juices
- Mushroom Risotto
- Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons
- Fresh Zoodles- Zucchini noodles are a healthy way to fill your belly even more without the carbs
- Hoagie Buns- kids love to pile this on hoagies
- Bruschetta- this is a simple and impressive side dish for sausage and peppers
- Spaghetti noodles and Marinara Sauce
Frequently Asked Questions
If you place the sausage and peppers in an airtight container, it will last for 3 days.
The best way to slice the bell peppers and onions is in long slices.
Sausage is best when 160° F internally or no longer pink.
Other recipes you’ll love
Pin for later
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Large Skillet
- Cutting board
- 2 packages Italian Sausage, with casings on
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 large Green bell pepper
- 1 large Red bell pepper
- 1 large Yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth, or a white wine
- 14 ounces Diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat oil in skillet and brown the sausages on medium-high heat until browned on all sides. This is one of the main ingredients, so getting that caramelized, crispy outer layer is part of what makes this dish delicious.
- Slice the veggies on a cutting board while the sausages brown.
- Set the sausages aside to cool and add the butter to the skillet, scraping the bottom of the pan as the butter melts to lift the bits off of from the sausage. Saute the sliced onions and peppers on medium heat for 3 minutes while you slice the sausages into 1/2 inches slices.
- Toss the sausage, broth, seasonings, and diced tomatoes in the skillet and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Serve immediately.