Are you tired of rushing in the morning and skipping breakfast? Or maybe you’re looking for a way to make meal prep easier? Look no further than breakfast casserole that can be frozen! This make-ahead breakfast casserole is the best way to have a hearty breakfast in minutes using simple ingredients.
Not only is it an easy breakfast recipe, but it’s also a great freezer meal option. Simply prepare the casserole, freeze it, and reheat it whenever you’re ready to eat.
This is a convenient option for those busy mornings or when you just don’t feel like cooking.
Plus, it’s a great way to save money by avoiding expensive breakfast foods on-the-go.
It’s even delicious enough for a Christmas morning breakfast, an Easter brunch, or a Mother’s Day gathering.
This breakfast casserole recipe is one of our favorite recipes and we’re sure it will become one of yours too. So head to your local grocery store and pick up the simple ingredients you need to make this delicious and convenient breakfast dish.
Why you’ll love this freezer breakfast casserole
- You can make it ahead of time and have a comforting breakfast in no time!
- It uses simple ingredients that are filling and high in protein.
- This is perfect for a normal morning or for special occasions.
- Comforting casseroles pair well with sweeter options, such as cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, or french toast.
- Egg casseroles are great for feeding a larger group or large family.
Ingredients for an Overnight Breakfast Casserole
When it comes to making a breakfast casserole that can be frozen, there are a variety of ingredients that can be used. Here are some of the main ingredients that you’ll need:
- Hash Browns- Hash browns are a staple ingredient in any hashbrown casserole. They provide a crispy texture and a savory flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients. You can use either frozen or fresh hash browns, depending on your preference.
- Egg Mixture- The egg mixture is the base of the casserole and provides the protein that will keep you full throughout the morning. You can use a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, or just one or the other. Season the mixture with black pepper, hot sauce, or any other spices you like.
- Sausage Mixture- Sausage is a classic breakfast ingredient that adds a lot of flavor to the casserole. You can use either ground sausage or sliced sausage links. Cook the breakfast sausage before adding it to the casserole to ensure that it’s fully cooked.
- Bell Peppers- Bell peppers add a pop of color and a sweet flavor to the casserole. You can use either red bell pepper or green bell peppers, or a combination of both.
- Fresh Veggies- Fresh veggies like spinach, kale, or broccoli can be added to the casserole for extra nutrition and flavor. Just make sure to chop them finely so that they cook evenly.
- Cheese- Cheese is an essential ingredient in any casserole. You can use a combination of sharp cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese for a delicious flavor. Cream cheese can also be added for a creamy texture.
- Onion- Sauté a diced onion for the casserole mixture or chop up some green onion to sprinkle on the top of a cooked egg casserole.
- Dairy- Dairy products like sour cream and heavy cream can be added to the egg mixture for a richer flavor and creamier texture. Use them sparingly, as too much can make the casserole too heavy.
- Sweet Potato- For a healthier twist on the classic breakfast casserole, you can substitute sweet potato for the hash browns. Sweet potato adds a natural sweetness and a boost of vitamins and fiber. Just make sure to cook the sweet potato before adding it to the casserole.
- Olive Oil- Olive oil can be used to grease the baking dish and prevent the casserole from sticking. It also adds a subtle flavor to the casserole.
How to Make this Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Sauté the Veggies- Sauté your veggies until soft and fragrant.
- Combine Casserole Ingredients- Combine your egg mixture in a large bowl and mix until combined. Grease your casserole dish with butter or cooking spray and pour your filling into the dish. Sprinkle your cups of cheese over top and cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
- Freeze– Freeze your casserole until you’re ready to bake it. When you’re ready to enjoy your breakfast casserole, simply take it out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw in the refrigerator. The next morning, pop it in the oven and you’ll have a hot and delicious breakfast ready in no time.
You now have the best breakfast casserole recipe that can be frozen for later use. The next time you’re in a hurry in the morning, you’ll be glad you took the time to make this delicious casserole ahead of time.
Variations for this Breakfast Bake
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be customized to your liking. You can add any ingredients you want, from sausage to bacon to vegetables. You can also make it as spicy or as mild as you like.
- Turkey Sausage- You can easily swap out turkey sausage or even diced ham for this recipe.
- Sweetened Hash Brown Casserole- If you like to mix sweet and savory, try adding 1/4 cup of real maple syrup to the fluffy egg mixture to give it a sweet twist.
- Tator Tots- Layer tatortots on the bottom of your 9×13 inch casserole dish in place of the shredded hash browns.
How to store leftover Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Store this delicious breakfast casserole in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, potatoes freeze well when they are uncooked. Freeze this delicious breakfast casserole prior to baking.
This casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Get your free cookbook…
All of the best WINTER soups to warm your table.
Freezer Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Freezer Breakfast Casserole
- 1 9×13 casserole dish
- 20 ounces shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray. Layer your thawed hash browns on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the cooked sausage, onions, bell peppers, and 1½ cups of the shredded cheese on top of the hash browns.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the top of the hashbrown mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over top of the casserole.
- Cover your casserole with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- The morning of, preheat your oven to 350°F. Let your casserole sit on the counter at room temperature until the oven is preheated.
- Place the casserole in the oven for 1 hour. If it isn't cooked through, remove the foil and allow it to cook another 15 minutes or until it's cooked through. Enjoy!
- If you like to mix sweet and savory, try adding 1/4 cup of real maple syrup to the fluffy egg mixture to give it a sweet twist.
- If you want to eat this right away, simple skip the freezer steps and bake it in a preheated oven for an hour.