Nothing says summer like a delicious Spritzer! My kids love fruit and they love fizz, so this simple recipe hits the spot during those hot days of summer. Today, I’m sharing this simple recipe for a mint-berry spritzer. It is delicious and refreshing.
What is a Spritzer?
A spritzer is a bubbly drink that you can create with either a bubbly wine or bubbly water. I prefer to keep mine non-alcoholic with bubbly water. You can then add a simple syrup and flavoring with berries to the sparkling water to enhance the drink.
Spritzers are traditionally sweet and a quintessential summer drink.
Ingredients for a Spritzer
- Club Soda– Feel free to use a club soda or a flavored sparkling water. The fizz is what you’re wanting for this spritzer.
- Simple syrup– This is a combination of water and sugar that you simply cook down over the stove. It’s quite simple, indeed.
- Berries– The options are endless, but we prefer blackberries or raspberries! They tend to burst easily and fill the spritzer with yummy flavor.
- Garnish– I chose mint for this spritzer because it has a bright note to the flavor profile. Not to mention, it has a fresh bite to it.
- Ice– This summer drink needs the chill of the ice, so be sure to fill your cup with some cold ice.
What Berries are best for Spritzers
This recipe came from my enjoyment of sparkling water, fresh mint, and seasonal berries. You can choose whichever berry you prefer- blueberry, blackberry, strawberry. For today, I’m going to go with blackberries since our store had some beautiful blackberries in stock.
How to Make a Mint-Berry Spritzer
- Step one is to make a simple syrup. This is the base and creates the sweetness that one would expect in a spritzer. This is not necessary and I have made this before without the simple syrup, but it does add a sweet touch. You do this by mixing equal parts water and sugar in a saucepan and cooking it down until the sugar is dissolved into the water.
- Once that is done, add your berries and mint to the simple syrup in the bottom of a glass and crush the berries just a touch to release their juice into the simple syrup. How much simple syrup you use is up to you and your desired sweetness. I’d start with a tablespoon. You can always add more if needed.
- The last step is to pour in the ice and sparkling water. Enjoy!
How to Make a Simple Syrup
- Add 1 Cup water and 1 Cup sugar to a sauce pan
- Bring to a boil and stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
How long does Simple Syrup last for?
You may store simple syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Garnishes for Spritzers
If you’d like to mix things up and garnish your spritzer with something other than mint, try these yummy and bright options!
This spritzer is a great drink to serve with friends, or even as a treat for the kiddos. They will feel ultra special and it elevates any summer afternoon!
Full Sprizer Recipe below
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 7 fresh blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries
- 1 cup sugar, for simple syrup
- 1 cup water, for simple syrup
- 1 can unflavored sparkling water
- To make your simple syrup, combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat until dissolved. Allow to cool before using in the spritzer.
- Add 2 TBSP of simple syrup to a glass
- Add the mint leaves and berries and gently crush to release juices and flavor.
- Pour sparkling water over with some ice and enjoy!