This slow cooker General Tso’s chicken is better than Chinese take-out because it is homemade and the whole family will love it! This is one of my family’s favorite Chinese dishes because it is sweet and savory, yet has a little bit of heat!
I like to be able to know what is in my family’s food, and that is one of the reasons I like this cooked-at-home slow cooker version that tastes like the popular takeout dish.
So, gather around the table with your family in the warmth of your own home and enjoy this delicious meal!
It’s easy to stick with basic meals of meat and potatoes, homemade pizza, and barbeque, but sometimes it’s fun to branch out and try something new!
What is Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken?
This slow cooker General Tso Chicken Recipe is a wonderful blend of tender chicken with a sweet, spicy, and savory sauce that your family will think you picked up at a Chinese restaurant!
This recipe uses cubed chicken breasts, homemade General Tso’s sauce, served over white rice, and garnished with green onions.
The chicken pieces are so good because they marinate in the tangy sauce all day with this crockpot cooking method.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Your family and friends will thank you for this unique meal that most people only get to eat at Chinese restaurants!
- This meal combines loads of flavor and perfectly blended textures with a pleasing and filling result!
- As it cooks, the aroma will definitely draw your family to the table!
- The sauce ingredients are what make the recipe!
Tell Me About This Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Taste– This Chinese food dish is loaded with tangy, sweet, and spicy flavors all in one dish!
- Texture– Tender delicious chicken is enveloped in a thick creamy sauce.
- Ease– This recipe is super easy because you just put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and let it do its thing! The hardest part is cubing the chicken!
- Time– The prep time is 10 minutes and it slow cooks for 3 hours. Start it in the afternoon and it will be perfectly cooked by supper time!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Chicken Breasts– The boneless skinless chicken breasts are cubed and make up the protein content of the meal.
- Cold Water– The water is used to make the sauce and slurry for the meal.
- Soy Sauce– This flavorful sauce is often used in Asian meals.
- Rice Vinegar– This ingredient adds acidity to sauces and marinades. Rice vinegar has a distinct taste and is made from rice!
- Hoisin Sauce– A key ingredient in many Asian dishes, Hoisin is like an Asian BBQ sauce made of soybean paste and other spices.
- Sugar or Honey– This sweetener makes the sauce even more delicious.
- Garlic Powder– Garlic powder is used to make the sauce more flavorful.
- Chili Flakes– Red pepper flakes add heat to the meal.
- Cornstarch– This is used to make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.
- White Rice– The chicken recipe is poured on top of the rice.
- Green Onions– The onions are sliced and added to the recipe as a garnish.
Make General Tso’s Chicken in 3 Easy Steps
- Cook the chicken and sauce– Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and then pour the sauce on top of the chicken. Cook on low for 2 hours.
- Add the cornstarch slurry– In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch slurry ingredients and then add it to the slow cooker. Cook for one more hour.
- Serve and enjoy– Serve on white rice and garnish with sliced green onions.
Variations for General Tso’s Slow Cooker Chicken
- Dark Brown Sugar (or light brown)– You can substitute brown sugar for the sugar or honey.
- Bottled General Tso’s Sauce– If you don’t want to make your own General’s sauce, you may substitute a 16 ounce bottle of store bought sauce.
Tips for the Best Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- If your family does not prefer the spicy flavor of the sauce, feel free to eliminate the red pepper flakes.
- Make sure you cook your chicken on low heat, otherwise, the chicken will get too dry if you cook it on high.
- Try to be sure that the chicken is covered with the liquid as much as possible. This will help marinade the chicken with the delicious flavors and keep it from drying out.
- You can add in other ingredients according to your family’s tastes!
Add-Ins for Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- Ginger– Ginger is a warm spicy ingredient often used in Asian dishes.
- Pineapple– Some people enjoy pineapple in their chicken dish. It adds a sweet citrusy flavor and texture to the sauce.
- Sesame Seeds– Sesame seeds are also used as a garnish but add a nutty flavor and delightful crunch.
- Diced Bell Peppers– Bell peppers add wonderful flavor and make the recipe into a healthier version because they are rich in vitamins!
How to Store Leftover General Tso’s Remaining Chicken
Store these delicious recipe leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
How to Reheat the Leftovers
Reheat your yummy leftovers in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, once it is completely cooled, place it in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Make sure it is thawed completely before reheating.
No, the slow cooker is made to cook raw meat, so you do not need to brown the meat first.
Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- 1 slow cooker,
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cubed
- ½ cup cold water
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar, or honey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1½ tablespoon water
- Add your chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Whisk the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and pour it into the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cook on low for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water and whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch to the crockpot and let it cook for an additional 1 hour. Be sure to check the chicken so you don't overcook it.
- Serve on white rice and garnish with sliced green onions.